Sunday, June 14, 2015

TToT (3) - Garden Edition

-1-
The vegetable garden is planted!

-2-
The vegetable garden is planted!

-3-
The vegetable garden is planted!

Can you tell I'm happy about that?  We're about two weeks behind getting it all in, but we didn't cripple ourselves doing it.  In the past we would do everything in one, maybe two, days.  And I would hurt.  A lot.  Pinched nerves.  Strained and pulled muscles.  Not this time.

-4-
If everything grows, we will be eating well.  Given how the early plantings are doing, it looks promising.  We have potatoes (3 kinds), tomatoes (6 kinds), peppers (3), onions, broccoli, cauliflower, beans (2), cucumbers (2), pumpkins, watermelon and popcorn.

-5-
Scarecrow is up and watching out for the critters.  He has a new addition.  Can you spot it?

-6-
It's raining.  It's been dry here for a while, so much so that we had to run a hose out to the garden and sprinkle several times already.  But, this is perfectly timed rain - I put the last plants in about an hour ago!

-7-
Now that the vegetables are done, I can concentrate on the flower gardens.  I have a lot of new things to go in and the prices was right for all of them - free!  Dad divided a bunch of his plants that were either getting too big or his eldest daughter just loved and had to have.  The iris below are just some of what he gave us. 

-8-
The strawberries are doing well and we have been able to enjoy quite a few this year.  We have even had enough to have some on homemade angel food cake.  Yum!
 
-9-
I have a mystery plant growing very well in the compost pile.  From the looks of the leaves, it is either a pumpkin or a butternut squash plant.  I'm hoping for squash, but either way, it's a bonus.

-10-
There is no mulch in the driveway.  Usually this time of year we get about five yards delivered.  And even with the best of intentions, it takes much longer to spread than I had planned.  This year we decided to forgo it. 


Check out more goodness at  A Fly on Our (Chicken Coop) Wall.

AMDG



10 comments:

  1. WOW! That must be a sizable garden. I think ours is big and we didnt even plant that much and most people chide up for planting potatoes and peanuts... like theyre unecessary... cmon...POTATOES!
    Im glad your feeling so accomplished as it evidenced by 1-3 you have a right to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That must be a sizable garden. I think ours is big and we didnt even plant that much and most people chide up for planting potatoes and peanuts... like theyre unecessary... cmon...POTATOES!
    Im glad your feeling so accomplished as it evidenced by 1-3 you have a right to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the best squash my parents have ever grown were mystery plants in the compost! The irises are so pretty - little drops of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep seeing people in Ohio just getting their gardens planted and it just shocks me every time. You aren't that far north of me, yet our garden is already blooming. We'll have green beans in no time.
    I am quite jealous of your free plants. I am gearing up for one monstrous overhaul of the perimeter of our house. 5 yards of dirt, then 6 yards of mulch. We've never done it before, as the disaster around the house shows. The plants are going to be the hard part. I'm hiring some of the kids' friends to do the spreading of dirt and mulch. Cheap teen labor will save me. :)
    Does your scarecrow have a tool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarecrow this year has a moonshine jug, just in case he gets thirsty out there.

      Delete
  5. When you plant a vegetable garden, you don't mess around! I want nothing to do with gardening, but I'm glad there are people like you and Christine and Vanessa who enjoy it.
    Strawberries on angel food cake is so yummy! And on homemade angel food cake? Even better!
    In spite of my hatred for gardening, I love when the spring bulbs all come up, and I would like to have irises. Every spring, I wish I had planted some in the fall. Maybe this will be the year I actually do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the scarecrow. I miss planting a vegetable garden. Your garden is beautiful and I love the strawberries. Can't wait to see pretty pictures of the flower garden. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your comment about being so dry that you had to use a hose to water made me chuckle a bit. If it weren't for sprinklers and hoses here, there would be ZERO green. Your garden sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think...could be wrong...that you are happy about your garden! :D It really does sound wonderful and I shall live vicariously here as I do other places because that is not something I do. I do enjoy other people's, though! Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So jealous of all your home grown food!

    ReplyDelete