Monday, February 13, 2012

Regrets

A very wise person once told me that you usually don’t regret the things you have done, but rather the things that you haven’t.  They are opportunities missed, words unsaid, encouragement not given, things not learned.

For some things, once the moment has passed, it is gone.  It’s too late.  There are things that I have often wished that I said to my mom before she died.  I didn’t.  I thought we had more time.  She didn’t.  It is something I will regret forever.  If one good thing came of it, though, is that I don’t miss an opportunity to tell my dad what I am thinking.  I think that surprises him.

When I was in college I had the opportunity to spend a summer in Spain, studying the language and the culture, with other college students.  I had the money.  I had the time.  What I lacked was the courage. 

Thankfully, there are those things that we might not have said or might not have done for which there still may be time and opportunity.  Is there someone with whom you need to reconnect?  While that person still walks this good earth say something!  How about something you want to learn or a place you want to visit?  Do it!

I often wished I had continued my music lessons and my ice skating lessons. Now, I know I’ll never be Dorothy Hamill or Kristy Yamaguchi, but I can still learn.  And there’s a hammered dulcimer sitting in the dining room collecting dust.  What’s stopping me from learning how to play that?  Nothing.

What’s stopping you?


AMDG

1 comment:

  1. I like your way of thinking! I think the same way ... I regret the things I haven't done.
    My family and I are now in the process of hugging before leaving after we all get together ... something we never used to do.

    ReplyDelete