Saturday, June 4, 2011

Quick Takes (8)



- 1-
I wasn't going to do Quick Takes this week, didn't think I had anything to say.  But a long walk with my dog on a beautiful morning got the juices flowing.  I'm just a day late and a dollar short!

- 2 -
We've been asked to write a recommendation letter for friends of ours that are starting the adoption process.  I have no doubt that they are going to be terrific parents.  They are a strong couple who put God at the center of their life.  But in fear of saying the wrong thing, I haven't written anything.  Just do it Donna!

- 3 -
It's been a busy week here.  I finally finished landscaping around the tree I put in last week.  I also put in our vegetable garden.  I planted tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, carrots, beets, lettuce and peas.  I just love tomatoes fresh from the garden - yum!  We make our own salsa and BLTs are a must.  Potatoes are fun to grow as you never know just what you're going to get until it's time to dig them out.  I don't think I've ever cooked the peas that we've grown.  We just pop open the pods and eat them as we pick them.

my new tree - Persian Ironwood

- 4 -
We've had some interesting critters in the yard this week.  DH happened to look out the window at just the right time.  He saw a snapping turtle racing across the lawn.  It actually was moving pretty quickly, so we named him Flash.  I went out about a half hour later and he was gone.

Flash

- 5 -
DH was walking along our stream and came across this next visitor.  Had I seen it, I probably would have screamed like a little girl!  Check out those beady eyes!

- 6 -
We've got Baltimore Orioles building a nest in one of the trees in the backyard.  It's not a bird that's seen often in NE Ohio so we've been enjoying the opportunity to watch them.  They build their nests in the most precarious of locations, at the very end of a very high branch.  But the nests are so solidly built even the biggest wind doesn't seem to knock them down.


- 7 -
“Man is always something worse or something better than an animal; and a mere argument from animal perfection never touches him at all. Thus, in sex no animal is either chivalrous or obscene. And thus no animal invented anything so bad as drunkeness – or so good as drink.”
– Wine When it is Red, All Things Considered 


Don't forget to check out more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment