Monday, June 3, 2013

I’m in a hurry

Do you ever get the feeling that the faster you go the “behinder” you get? I’ve been feeling that way the last couple of weeks about the yard and garden. So much mulch so little time. Such a big vegetable garden and not enough hours in the day.

I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why

In actuality, we’re doing rather well with the spring chores. The first pile of mulch, all five yards of it, is nearly gone. Last year that took me until the middle of July to complete. Himself and I got the veggie garden planted Thursday night and Saturday afternoon, just in time for a much needed and well-timed rain shower.

Don't know why I have to drive so fast
My car has nothing to prove
It's not new
But it'll do zero to sixty in five point two

We expanded the garden, not so much in size, but in scope of what we put in. Last year we probably didn’t use thirty percent of the space we prepared. This year we’re using all of it, with much more thought and planning. We’ve added additional kinds of peppers, carrots and beets. I’m giving lima beans and wax beans a try as well as peanuts. And we’ve cut back the number of tomato plants, down to 26 plants from the 40 we had last year.

I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why
 
I need to build a couple of trellises for the pole beans and cucumbers and I’d like to add a scarecrow this year. Those things aren’t pressing at the moment. 
 
Can't be late, I leave in plenty of time
Shakin' hands with the clock
I can't stop
I'm on a roll and I'm ready to rock
 
What we do get to do now is wait and watch. Seeds take time to germinate. Fruit on the vine takes time to develop and grow and ripen. The fun now is in the discovery of what and how things are proceeding. Have the beans sprouted yet? Do we have any peppers on the plants?

I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why
 
I refuse to rush and rush until life’s no fun. I have a Sand Pail list of items that I want to do. I have blogger friends I want to visit and meet. There’s a wren building a nest in the bird box that I want to listen to sing its glorious song. There are beers to be had on the patio while watching the clouds go by. 

Oh, I hear a voice
That says I'm running behind
Better pick up my pace
It's a race and there ain't no room for someone in second place
 
Oh shut up! I’m not behind. I am just where I am supposed to be.


AMDG

1 comment: