Thursday, July 7, 2011

Jack of all trades, master of some . . .

. . .or, what I like to do for fun. 

I can never quite figure when people say they have no hobbies.  What do they do with all their time?  Okay, the moms I understand.  But others?  Those that don't want to retire because they wouldn't know what to do with their time?  Not me.  There's just not enough hours in the day.

I’m not the most athletic person, so not many of my activities fall in that area any more.  Although, I do have to say I’ve tried a few.  My sister and I took golf lessons a number of years back.  DH gave me his old set of clubs and bought me a new driver, bag and cart.  It was fun, but nine holes is about three too many for me.  My attention span just isn’t that long.  How do people play 18???

I used to run.  A lot.  I did many, many charity road races, mostly 5k, 5 miles, and 10k, and had the t-shirts to prove it.  I did do a half marathon once and trained for a whole marathon.  I did my 20 mile training run about six weeks before race day and then got bronchitis.  It’s hard to run when you can’t breathe!

So now I do more (mostly) sedate activities.  I love to garden.  And if you haven’t guessed, I really enjoy photography.  And reading, sewing, quilting, glass etching, fabric painting, counted cross stitch, jewelry making, cooking, bread baking.  I'm not sure, I may have missed a few. 

I'm not very musical, but I have had lessons in guitar, flute and french horn.  All those were back in grade school.  We borrowed the french horn from my music instructor.  It was over 100 years old and looked every bit of it.  It had bits of black electrical tape over a few holes.  I have a hammer dulcimer that I inherited from my mom.  Someday I really want to learn how to play it.

I’d really like to try my hand at spinning wool, then dying and weaving it.  I wouldn’t mind learning to knit.  I'm open to suggestions. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow- lots of things you are interested in! I love that they are surrounding your home and making it beautiful. I'm interested in many of the same things and can't wait for retirement to do some of them. It seems like right now, working and maintenance of our home takes all my time. Maybe if I get rid of the fatigue, that would help! Thanks for the inspiration ;)

    ReplyDelete