Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Getting the giggles. . . at the completely wrong time

During our pastor’s homily on Sunday, he spoke of the Christ as the good shepherd.  Sheep are very docile animals and definitely are not leaders.  They don’t herd very well.  But they are great followers and know their master’s voice.  Talk to them and they will go right along with you.

Fr. Joe then segued into the next part of his sermon – he had to ask for money.  Our diocese is in the midst of a large fundraising campaign.  We’ve heard the talk a number of times.  I think I might even be able to give it.

Anyways, we all needed to fill out the pledge cards, again.  We just did it last week.  But, he told us, he had to have us do it.  He was just following the directions of his leader, the bishop.  As a parish we’ve exceeded our goal and “it’s all good.”

It’s all good.

That line struck me as so funny.

I started giggling. And then laughing. 

So hard I was crying.

It’s all good.

I could not stop laughing.

“We’ll have a couple of minutes of quiet so you can finish filling out your cards.”

The glasses came off, the tissues came out.  And I was still laughing, mostly silently of course.

Then we stood to pray the creed.

“I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.”

The giggles finally stop, mostly.

“And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.”

It’s all good.


AMDG

1 comment:

  1. Oh my!!! I've done this before too .. Laughed at the totally wrong time, wayyyyyy too much. At least you felt better! I do like that. :-)

    ReplyDelete