Monday, January 14, 2013

A Good Read: Maurice and Therese

Back in September Marie at Naru Hodo wrote about finding a book in her church’s library and reading it in two sittings.  Needless to say I was intrigued.  The book, Maurice and Thérèse: The Story of a Love, contains the letters exchanged between St. Thérèse of Lisieux and a young man hoping to become a missionary priest. 

When Maurice Belliere was struggling in the seminary he wrote to the Mother Superior of the Carmelite convent in Lisieux asking if one of the sisters could pray for him.  She chose Thérèse to do this and soon a deep spiritual friendship was born.  Maurice was deeply troubled by sins of his past and worried of his worthiness to pursue his vocation.  Thérèse encouraged him and reminded him of God’s unending mercy, love and forgiveness. 


Way back when, I chose St. Thérèse as my patron saint at confirmation and have read her autobiography recently, but I didn’t know these letters or this book existed.  The author/editor has included biographical information between the letters which eloquently fills in some of the history of both Thérèse’s and Maurice’s lives.

If you are looking for something good to read during Lent, this just might be the book.  Although it took me a few more than two sittings to read it, I found it to be an important read and one I am sure I will go back to again and again.

AMDG

3 comments:

  1. The book sounds interesting. I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued! And I need a new book to read ... perfect timing! Thanks, Donna! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really interesting, I will have to add it to my very long reading list.

    ReplyDelete