Friday, March 18, 2011

Quick Takes (3)



-1 -
Spring is in the air!  At least it was for a couple of days here in NE Ohio and we're loving it.  And it couldn't have come at a better time - St Patty's day.  DH and I enjoyed some "patio time" after work yesterday with some of our favorite local brew.  Life is good!

-2 -
For Lent this year I decided to give up candy.  It's not that I eat a lot of it, but it's been a tempting habit I've gotten into at work.  Our team lead keeps a candy bowl in our room filled with goodies.  It hasn't been that hard.  Shouldn't it feel more difficult?  Maybe I should do something more.

-3 -
 Monday night I hosted our ladies neighborhood book club.  When you host the evening you're in charge of picking the book and providing the goodies.  We've mostly been reading current, popular fiction.  I decided to torture challenge them with a little GK Chesterton and chose Manalive.  The book is deceiving, only 124 pages, but it packs a big punch.  Although everyone didn't get through the entire book, they seemed to have enjoyed it and we had an interesting and lively discussion.

-4 -
I've only got two more days on my "30 day challenge" and I haven't cheated.  Wish I could say I didn't want to, but there were a few days when coffee was calling my name.  I put in my ear plugs and didn't listen.  And if that didn't work I though of this lovely lady and her preparations for coming into the church.  If she's able to battle her demons the least I could do is offer my coffee and Micky D's up for her.

-5 -
I've always liked to read.  Even as a little girl I loved a good book.  I would sneak my Winnie the Pooh books to bed with me and read under the covers with a flashlight.  I've been trying to broaden what I read and besides Chesterton have been reading Hillaire Belloc and Jane Austin.  It fun seeing how much things stay the same, across the eras in which some of these books were written.  If you want a great read, pick up Belloc's Path to Rome.  He's got a great sense of humor, though it took me a while to get it. 

-6 -
Okay, it's Friday and we're supposed to abstain from meat.  But we like fish and my homemade mac & cheese is really yummy.  It just doesn't seem like that much of a sacrifice.

-7 -
"Imprudent marriages!" roared Michael.  "And pray where in earth or heaven are there any prudent marriages?  Might as well talk about prudent suicides.  You and I have dawdled round each other long enough, and are we any safer than Smith and Mary Gray, who met last night?  You never know a husband till you marry him.  Unhappy! of course you'll be unhappy.  Who the devil are yout hat you shouldn't be unhappy, like the mother that bore you?  Disappointed! of course we'll be disappointed.  I, for one, don't expect till I die to be so good a man as I am at this minute--a tower with all the trumpets shouting."  Manalive - GK Chesterton



Don't forget to check out more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment