Thursday, February 17, 2011

Guilty vs. Guilty Pleasures

I often hear people talk about “guilty pleasures” – long hot showers, dark chocolate truffles, hours long phone conversations, an occasional adult beverage, etc.  You get the picture.  On one of the cable stations they’ve been playing reruns of “S.ex in the Ci.ty” and I’ve caught a few episodes.  Since the show originally ran on a premium channel we don’t get, I haven’t seen this show before.  I knew it was supposed to be pretty raunchy.  It’s well acted and has some interesting premises and usually a valid lesson learned by the end of the episode.  I’ve been telling myself it’s just a guilty pleasure.  But, if that’s the case, why do I feel so dirty, so slimy afterwards?

The show's main tramp, Samantha, discovers that sex is better when it’s with a person in a committed relationship.  Gee, you don’t say?!  And Carrie learns that when women try to be men and men try to be women, they lose something of themselves.  I wouldn’t have guessed!  And in one of the latest episodes Miranda finds herself pregnant from a casual relationship.  She discusses "ending it" while Charlotte agonizes over not being able to conceive.  After all, everyone's had at least one, or two, or four.   Uggggg!!!!

Why is is that such immoral behavior made to seem so normal?  so accepted?  It's as if people that don't engage in such behavior are the exception rather than the rule.  I'm really hoping that's not the case. 

Guilty or guilty pleasure?

Guilty!

No comments:

Post a Comment