Sunday, February 15, 2015

Soup-er Sunday: Thai Coconut Chicken Soup

It's no secret that I need to lose a few (or more) pounds.  It isn't going as fast as I would like it to, but I think I am making better food choices.  While we are not eating true Paleo/Whole30/Gluten-free, I like to check out the various web sites and blogs for new recipes.  A great site is Paleo Leap.  The food pictured looks great and is mostly rather simple to make.
 
I found a soup recipe that I had wanted to make for a while.  I didn't have a few ingredients so I improvised and we loved the results.  This is a definite keeper of a recipe.
 
Back in December, Stephanie recommended Penzey's spices as one of the twenty gifts she likes to give and/or receive.  It turns out that there is a Penzey's store not all that far from us and when we were nearby we stopped in.  Wow!  I'm right there with her, I'm not going back to grocery store spices.  Just the difference in the aroma of these is so, so much better.  I can't help but think that the quality of the spices really boosted this soup's flavor.  Yum!
  
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
 
1 good sized cooked chicken, shredded
1 can coconut milk
6 cups chicken broth
½ cup orange juice
3 medium carrots, shredded
2 stalks celery, finely diced
½ large sweet onion, finely diced
½ cup brown rice, cooked
½ tsp. curry powder
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ginger
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. salt
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
 
Sauté onion and celery until softened.  Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, orange juice, seasonings, carrots and chicken pieces.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the carrots are getting slightly tender.
 
 Enjoy!
 
AMDG

2 comments:

  1. We love making curry with Penzey's sweet curry powder. You can't beat it. This soup looks wonderful and with a little more rice and no chicken, I bet it'd be perfect for meatless Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely! I'm planning to make some curry tonight.

    ReplyDelete