Friday, October 10, 2014

Quick Takes (31) - No Excuses aka Halfway Done


-1-
I have surprised myself and have made it halfway through the Couch to 5k running plan.  At first I thought it was a six week long schedule, which rather surprised me.  It certainly didn't seem long enough to go from nothing to 3.1 miles.  Flip the paper over, Donna!  It’s nine weeks.  Whew!

It feels good to sweat; well, except when it gets in my eyes.  Soaked clothing is tangible evidence that I am working hard.

-2-
I've been dealing with a rather bad case of Plantar Faciitis.  I've had it before and it is painful and annoying.  It usually is indicative of beating your feet up in not-so-good shoes.  I checked Zappos to see when I bought the running shoes I have been using.  It’s been three years and a lot of walking miles ago.  I guess it’s time to splurge and buy a new pair.

-3-
Speaking of good support (I was wasn’t I??), I decided that the sports bras I had were completely inadequate.  Who designs those things anyways? I stopped in a couple of local department stores and they had pitiful selections.  Macy’s only had one real sports bra and it was sixty-five dollars!  I don’t think so.

Himself suggested checking Amazon and they had a great selection.  I had many, many from which to choose and the prices were much better.  The reviews people posted were so helpful.  Since we have a Prime membership, the one I picked out arrived in just two days.  Did I tell you how much I like Amazon Prime?  And my new bra?  Both are awesome!

-4-
The 5k race that I am going to sign up for is a fund raiser for the Knight of Columbus at St. Sebastian’s church.  And just who is St. Sebastian? you ask.  He is the patron saint of athletes, and particularly of runners.  Got to love that coincidence.  If you’re not doing anything on October 18th and feeling like heading my way, I’d love to have some company on my run/walk.

-5-
I had to travel for work last week.  In keeping with my ‘no excuses’ theme I brought my running gear.  The hotel had a small, but very nice fitness center.  Had any of my coworkers that I traveled with seen me after my workout they would have been afraid, very afraid.


-6-
I downloaded the C25k app on my phone.  Once I figured it out I found that I could choose the ‘voice’ that gives the orders as when to run and when to walk.  I like the Drill Sargent.  He is good motivation!
-7-
There have been a few workouts that were a little tough to get motivated for.  But afterwards I was so glad I had done them.  I felt good.  I like what I am seeing on the scale now that I am running again.  -5.  ‘Nuf said.

Don't forget to check out more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.
Have a great weekend!


AMDG

7 comments:

  1. Way to go, Donna!! I started running again this last May after taking pleeeeeenty of time to recover from my surgery--even convinced my husband to join me! We ran a race a couple of weeks ago and are trying to keep up our stamina before the winter sets in. Wishing you well on your 5K next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to remember to check Amazon for sports bras! Last time I bought one I went to Dick's; it was expensive, but it's super comfortable.

    You've got to make sure you take care of your feet! I hope the new shoes do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oof. Plantar Faciitis. I know the pain. You def need a good new pair of running shoes! Sounds like you're doing a great job with your Couch to 5k program. Have a blast with the 5k. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive! I skipped my run today; rain was my excuse. But this post inspires me to do a make-up run tomorrow. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I had some set backs, like extremely hot weather so I had been running in place/inside my house for a couple weeks. Then I took it outside this week and had to do last weeks schedule because running outside is much harder. All in all I am liking the running and building up my stamina slowly. Virtual high five!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so difficult to deal with painful things while running. But everything else sounds fantastic! I love that you are staying so consistent, even while traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have plantar ficiistis as well...it stinks. I wear slippers or house shoes all the time now and I have a sole insert in my shoes. That all really helps. Great job on the run...I've been bad as well...I had to really push myself to get to yoga today..I mean really.

    ReplyDelete