Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A good read: Something Other Than God

And out of that hopeless attempt has come nearly all that we call human history—money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery—the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

If you're a Catholic blogger more than likely you have run across Jen Fulwiler's Conversion Diary. Either you stalk her site waiting for the latest post or you read and/or participate in her weekly 7 Quick Takes Friday. But, if you're some poor forsaken soul not to have read anything of hers, here is your chance for a delightful introduction.

In Something Other Than God Jen details her conversion from atheist to Catholic with all the bumps, bruises, and doubts along the way. As she will tell you on her blog, this book was five years in the making. And you know what? It shows. It is an incredibly well written, thoughtful book. It's one of those books you just don't want to put down, except when that pesky little thing called work gets in the way.

A time came when parties and career climbing weren't enough. The birth of her first child got her thinking more about her and her child's limited time on this earth. She began reading and researching various religions and spiritual views. She started her blog which opened an avenue to ask questions and talk with others regarding their faith.

As I read this book I realized just how poorly I have continued my education in our faith and the reasons for what we believe. As a cradle Catholic I take for granted the tenants of what the church teaches. I know the basics, my grade school catechism mostly stuck. This book is an encouragement to me to continue my faith journey. Thanks Jen!


AMDG

3 comments:

  1. Loved this book! I felt the same way after reading it with regards to appreciating the Church more and how much more I have to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish their was a "LIKE" button. it is my next book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading this one! I have a copy sitting next to me right now... hoping to find some free time soon to dive right in. :)

    ReplyDelete