Thursday, May 23, 2013

At first blush

Does anyone blush anymore? Seriously. Does anyone get embarrassed?

Driving back to the office at lunchtime today I was listening to Rush Limbaugh. He was talking about a recently release book, “The End of Sex: How Hookup Culture is Leaving a Generation Unhappy, Sexually Unfulfilled, and Confused About Intimacy.” Apparently kids these days are “hooking up” just to have something to post or tweet about.

When I finally made it back to my desk, I did what I normally do, and checked the news websites. I was greeted with this headline:
 

I chuckled to myself, but I was also glad no one was around as I work in an office of mostly men. As funny as it is, it is also rather raunchy. 

I got to thinking about something that happened when I was in my teens. Since I was a little girl my family used to go to a camp in Kentucky run by the local Catholic Diocese. At some point we started going the 4th of July week each year. That week the camp was filled by all the “regulars” and we got to know and look forward to seeing the same families year after year. There were a good number of us that were similar in age, with a definite preponderance of the male persuasion.

One summer some of these boys came up with a chant, “Donna, Donna, do you wanna?” that they would repeat frequently when the parents were out of earshot. I was 14, 15, maybe 16 years old.  I would get flustered and embarrassed and blush terribly at the implication. After all, we were Catholic kids at a Catholic camp. None of that would be happening here. I still cringe at the memory.

Where did we lose that innocence? When did private intimacy become something to publicly boast about?

AMDG 

4 comments:

  1. I am shocked at some of the commercials that come on during the morning news or even some of the stories the reporters share on the morning news! I wish we still had this innocence, I know I blush when such things are mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of my second graders are not innocent. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way...lots of jokes were made at my expense in Catholic school in junior high. Lets just say I am well endowed and was at an early age. Really, it was only a few boys, but still. I was very naive and innocent even in my early teens. I can't imagine what girls go through now...makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish that age of innocence, even though the "good old days" weren't perfect, they were nothing compared to what's happening today!

    ReplyDelete