Thursday, December 29, 2016

Thanks, Mom!

One of the many things that my mom taught me was how to sew.  She was an incredible seamstress.  She sewed her own wedding dress as well as those of her bridesmaids.  Growing up, we always had beautiful, handmade clothes, including our First Communion dresses.  I don't have half the talent nor the precision and patience she had.  But, I'm working on it.

Since Sis doesn't sew at all, I inherited all of mom's machines and material stash when she passed.  One is a very finicky embroidery machine.  For me, it's hit or miss getting it to work properly.  Usually it take me multiple attempts to get it right.  Either the thread breaks or the bobbin runs empty or the material rips, or, or or.  You get the idea. 

I mentioned in a post that I was making a quilt for Aunt Paulette.  We had made plans to visit a couple of Fridays ago and surprise her with it.  The night before I had one thing left to finish on it - the label.

When I took a quilting class many years ago, the teacher told us that we should put a label on every quilt we made.  It is like an artist signing her work.

So, Thursday night, out came the embroidery machine.  I had a quick "chat" with mom, asking her to help me make this label go smoothly.

One time.

That's all it took.  Just one time and it looked good.

I "talk" to my mom a lot.  This is probably the first time I got such a quick answer.










Thanks, mom!

AMDG

2 comments:

  1. nice to have a "talk" with mom to give you help. I remember you mentioning some issues you have had with the embroidery machine. Nice it cooperated this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt Aunt Paulette loved the quilt. Glad your mom came through for you so quickly. :)
    I don't know how to sew a thing. I made one baby quilt by hand when I took a class. I can't even get a button securely on a shirt. I am always impressed by people who can actually make not only wearable, but beautiful clothing for themselves by hand.

    ReplyDelete