Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The TV Show That Broke My Heart

The TV show Castle has quickly become one of my favorites.   In turn, it can funny, pithy, serious, and suspenseful.  You know from the start that Richard Castle was falling madly and deeply in love with Kate Beckett.  She fought it for a while, but finally succumbed to his charms.
 
As a woman, you want to be her – a beauty pursued in a gentle, persistent, and insistent manner.  I think guys want to be him - intelligent, masculine, handsome and funny.   It took six seasons, but Castle and Beckett finally became “Caskett,” tying the knot in a romantic, sunset, beachside, intimate wedding. 
 
The recent two part season opener, however, makes me want to bag the series.  Kate has demons from her past, and apparently some deep secret, that only a stranger can help her excise.  So, in order to “protect” Castle, her husband, she leaves him.
 
Huh???
 
There are days when Himself and I can annoy the bejeezus out of each other.  But, when it comes right down to it, he is the one person that I know I can count on, no matter what.  He has my back. He’s there to help me, to protect me, and sometimes, even save me from myself.  He knows I will do the same.
 
Castle may be just a television show, but I think it reflects something bigger.   Marriage has become something where we only want our spouse to see our better parts.   Wedding vows on television are all about “you make me smile” and “you’re my best friend” and “I like who I am when I am with you” sort of things.   That's the easy part. 

What about I’ll love you and honor you in good times and in bad?  If there are demons out there, I want to fight them together

That’s the kind of marriage I want.
 
AMDG

4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this show, but I totally agree with you! And oh my gosh do tv show vows drive me crazy, every time! It's always just a listing of cheesy things they like about the other and never the promising to be there through good and bad. So glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're exactly right. It's so UGH to see that happening all over the place. "In good times and in bad" is the kind of marriage I want too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched the show either. I agree with everyone else...in good times and bad....I wouldn't do it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't watched the latest seasons of Castle, but certainly liked the first 3 or 4 seasons. I know that some of what they do, they do for the purposes of drama, but I think you're right, a lot of it is an indicator of where we are as a culture and society. Because the divorce culture is so strong, if you are too damaged, you can be traded in for something better. I like your take on it a lot better!

    ReplyDelete